Matcha Market Forecast 2022by 黒田九兵衛
Matcha market to a new stage
- Consumer change: From Instagram to self-health and wellness
- Changes of the purchasing group: The expansion of the age group and the increase in female consumers. Increase in selling sites other than EC sites.
- Double to US$ 6 billion market by 2030: Market research agency forecasts have been revised upwards from three years ago. Our stance is slightly bullish than the median.
- CAGR of 8-10%: 10% is quite possible.
The growth of matcha, the steaming method peculiar to Japan, is accelerating
- L-Theanine disappears in the iron pot roasting method: An increasing number of consumers are aware that proteins such as theanine disappear in iron pot roasting used in China and elsewhere.
- If want only catechins, hojicha powder is more applicable: there is increasing interest in hojicha powder.
Impact of soaring international transportation costs
- Movement to avoid high-impact low-priced products: In addition to the trend of consumers who are reluctant to add sugar to low-priced matcha, soaring transportation costs is against-wind to low-priced matcha.
Diversification of applications and addition of value
- Matcha cosmetics: An increase in skin care products aimed at aging care effects due to antioxidant effects.
- Matcha Liqueur: Horeca is adopting matcha cocktails and liqueurs. The gold medal-winning Tia Maria Matcha accelerate it. Since the operation in restaurants is easy and the unit price can be increased, the value added strategy by matcha is becoming popular.
Recommended strategies for by industry
- Retailers and wholesalers: Shift from low-priced to mid-range / high-end products. For that purpose, it is indispensable to provide detailed product knowledge such as production area and characteristics. Tasting events are also popular at physical stores.
- Wellness Store, Cosmetology Salon: Offers high-theanine matcha drinks as welcome drinks while also retailing.
- Restaurant / Cafe / Bar: It is essential to add a matcha arrangement menu.
- Hotel, Hospitality: Ceremony-grade matcha drinks can create a special experience for guest.
The above is our forecast of the matcha market after 2022, which we have built by directly collecting the voices of buyers and some consumers from each country and also analyzing the market research institutes.